APPLY TO VOLUNTEER : Volunteer, Caring for the Youth, Community Upliftment, Gapyear, Volunteering, Social Development Projects
We are a NON-PROFIT Organisation (NPO No. 081-734) founded in June 2009. Most of our youth that visit House of Hope, need after school care and food. Due to the community being most poor families that need assistance. (Disadvantaged families) These children were potential, or actual, street children but with a lot of love and care we have managed to get them all to go to school daily. These are children who really do not want to be on the streets, but basically had no other option. They receive clothing, one meal a day, supervision over homework, counselling, dancing and art lessons, sports activities and outings. They receive help from social workers who work on building up and uplifting the community.
The management of our Organisation in South Africa consist of 10 members (5 South African citizens, 4 Swiss citizens). House of Hope has one main purpose – to help the poorest children from a sub-division town called Kranshoek in South Africa, by giving them one meal (and more) every day. All donations received by House of Hope are used exclusively for the benefit of all the children we are assisting.
- Located just outside of Plettenberg Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
- Duration Minimum 4 weeks
- Dates Closed from 22nd December to 10 January
- Requirements Minimum age 18 | Police clearance Certificate.
- You must have an upper intermediate lever of English.
- Special skills – An honest desire to help children from disadvantaged communities.
- Life Skills training and Education are added to this volunteer experience.
- Day of Arrival – Sunday
- Day of Departure – Sunday
- House of Hope is situated in the heart of the world-famous Garden Route Coast in South Africa.
- Volunteers bring joy and make a remarkable difference in the lives of the Kranshoek children.
- You will be working with inspired and motivated individuals from the local community.
- The project allows you to visit its sister projects – Wild Cat Sanctuary (Jukani) and Monkey Sanctuary (Monkeyland) and Birds of Eden (Largest free-flying bird Avery in the world)
Excursions outside of the project (in the area)
- Highest bridge bungee jump in the world at Storms River (216m/712ft)
- Tsitsikamma National Park (Google it – awesome!)
- Skydiving and much more!
- Bonus – Getting to know the different cultures of the regional communites.
The project has a wonderful, very dedicated, long-standing committee and staff members, but they do need finances to secure the continued success of their project. This has been an ongoing Community Development Project always in need of sponsorship and donations.
Volunteers work Monday to Friday, from 08:00 to 17:00 assisting management and staff with their daily tasks – depending on skills and experience.
Daily tasks could include:
- Dancing (group)
- Going on trips with the children to functions
What to bring
- Comfortable clothing like jeans
- Warm jacket
*Although a casual environment, a presentable appearance is important.
There are no special requirements regarding this volunteering project, but we recommend bringing the following:
- pocket money
- Personal prescription medication
- mosquito repellent
- Travelling clothes
- Any items of personal nature, etc.
All these items (and anything else you might need) are readily available at local supermarkets in South Africa.
We invite you to join us!
Contact : Stephanie Shrosbree
Email : email@example.com
Mobile : +27 (0) 82 261 0542